Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Editing for the Web, Steven Wagers

I chose to take a look at the article dubbed "No new snowmobile legislation: Stelmach" on the Edmonton Journal website. The article is fairly well written and I think it has some merit in the online world of media.

The article itself is short, and there is no wall of text. This makes the story very easy to read. The image also enhances the text in my opinion, because it shows the wreckage of the most recent snowmobiling disaster that has caused questions to be raised on this issue.

There were some problems though. There were no bold subheadings meaning the information was not "chunked" which prevented easy access to certain aspects of information. The story was not broken into segments, but because the story was so short, I don't think this is a huge issue.

Quotes were also included in the story, and they add some perspective to the article.

As for grammer and punctuation this article does a fairly good job, for the most part. I was able to come across a few errors though. The biggest one was a case where the author chose to seperate what I believe should be one sentence into two seperate sentences. In the article it is written "I know B.C.’s solicitor general is going to have a look at it. But you know, there’s this balance of common sense." I think it should be written like this: 'I know B.C.’s solicitor general is going to have a look at it, but you know, there’s this balance of common sense.'

Image taken from Gawker.com. The Editor-in-Chief is Remy Stern.

No comments:

Post a Comment