Saturday, April 10, 2010

Blogging, Steven Wagers


People have often debated the merits of blogging. Some say that it's ridiculous and there is no reason for having a blog, reading a blog, or for blogs being in existence in the first place. In some ways I think this is true and a few months ago I might have even fully agreed with them. Now however, I have started seeing the merits of having a blog. I think blogs can give insight into areas where some people might have some sort of expertise in.

For example, one blog that I follow is Oilers Nation. This blog has many accomplished writers that write on it. Jason Greggor, and Robin Brownlee are just two of these writers. Both are well known amongst Oilers fans. This blog gives public who wouldn't normally have the chance to go into the locker room and talk to the players themselves, an opportunity to gain some insight into what is happening with the Oilers.

It's for these reasons that I have performed a 180 in respect to my views on blogs. I think they do have some merit. Obviously there are lots of blogs that suck, but I think that they can be a useful source of information, but they have to be read with a grain of salt.

Jayme Hagan and Terra Poole once wrote "by not learning a specific type of media, such as Twitter, you are alienating a potential audience." The same could go for blogging. As a journalist, you don't want to alienate any potential audiences.

Image taken from Hornbull Unleashed (http://hornbillunleashed.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/create-new-blog-commoncraft-0.jpg)

1 comment:

  1. Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.
    term papers writing service

    ReplyDelete