Monday, April 12, 2010

Final Blog Post, Shannon Findlay


Since beginning my University studies in journalism, I've learned to expect nothing as nothing is what it seems. When I began the "Copyediting and Proofreading" course I anticipated a class filled with looking through texts in search of grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, and factual slip ups. I would never have foreseen the online direction in which we have taken. Up until this year I was blissfully unaware of the many different facets from which news can be drawn. Blogs, RSS feeds, Twitter, and on occasion, even Facebook can all be ways to find out what's going on in the world and community.

Before this class, blogging was a foreign concept to me. I had heard many people were making their voice heard through personal blogs, but for me the idea had thus far seemed unappealing. Now I have written my own blogs, and they are displayed in public domain for anyone to see and admire. What I once scoffed at, I can now understand the value in. Employers need not look far to find examples of my skill with the written word. An audience for my work can be established before I ever become published. Blogging can open doors for an aspiring writer if they know how to use it effectively and make the most of it.

I not only have learned to maneuver my way around a blog site, but can also use a myriad of other tools the Internet has provided for my disposal. Cartoon creating sites, Wordles, slide share technology, timeline creators and so on. Before this class I had no knowledge of even the existence of such technologies, but now I am capable of using them to enhance blogs, or any other project I undertake. Katrine said it best in her blog when she stated, "Whether for or against the media's use of Internet, social media, blogging, etc., it is necessary to know these communication tools when aspiring to become a journalist."

Where is the future heading? No one really knows. We can all speculate, but at the end of the day, they are just guesses with no clear answers. The best method to tackle the future of journalism is simply to be open to change and constantly learning. I may not keep up a blog of my own, but I will maintain the knowledge of how to use it. I'll remember the importance of editing, such as when to double check for maximum accuracy, and I will be ready for change. Knowledge is power. With the drive to never stop learning and adapting, I can only become more ready to take on whatever the future may bring.

*Note: image from newmediachatter.com
My Comments: 1- 2- 3- 4- 5

1 comment:

  1. I like the use of the image, the twitter bird beconning us, the viewer, to "Jump On!" really symbolizes how social media is only effective if the majority uses it, or "jump[s] on" board. Well done!

    ReplyDelete