Monday, April 12, 2010

Final Blog Post, Jayme Hagen

The way people want to receive their news has changed greatly over the past decade, as it does every decade. There has been a shift in the way consumers want their information.

Links

Links to relevant articles are mandatory in providing accurate background information and allowing the consumers to do some of their own fact checking.


The way consumers want to see articles set up has also changed; they no longer want to see an article with one headline and text. Many subheads dividing the article into sections is much preferable. The consumer wants to be able to scan the article for information that he finds relevant; accurate subheads make this easier.


Lists are an effective tool to use in your articles because:
  • they catch the consumers eye
  • they are easily scannable
  • they do a good job in summing up ideas
Personally, I find all of these things a little disheartening. A journalist can no longer write long articles because people will not take the time to read them. If people are really interested in a subject, should they not want to read the whole article?

New Technologies

Being able to post video and audio clips very easily has increased the accuracy of the news. You are now able to hear for yourself exactly what a person said with as little editorializing as possible, something that has been wonderful for journalism.


Since these technologies are available to almost everyone, almost everyone is able to post their opinions. Whether or not they use this new power to do accurate reporting or simply to slander a person or company is up to them. As consumers, we have a greater responsibility to fact-check the articles we are reading through.


Personally, even with all the inaccuracies found on blogs, I think they are a good thing. With everyone able to report, you are given more opinions on a subject and a more accurate overall view can be seen. People should always be doing their own fact-checking, blindly believing what a website says, whether than website is credible or not, is never a good idea. Now, if the articles are properly sourced, you are able to check links for yourself to verify authenticity.

As a journalist, I will do my best to learn these new technologies and use them in a way that makes what I am reporting on as accurate as possible. Limiting the amount of editorializing in my writing is priority number one, so the use of audio and video clips will play a vital role in this. Linking is an easy, but effective way to allow readers to fact-check, so I will do my best to maintain links and ensure they bring the consumer where it should go.

This year

To sum up, I learned the internet changed things. I also learned, like Joan Jett, "I don't give a damn about my bad reputation." I will be as objective as possible when I am writing an article, but I will do what I want in my spare time. A wise reporter once said, "Each journalist has biases too, it goes along with being a human being. However, this is not a negative thing." We are journalists, but we are people first.

Image taken from API Gamepro.

Here are some comments I have made throughout the semester:
Comment 1
Comment 2
Comment 3
Comment 4
Comment 5

No comments:

Post a Comment