Friday, April 9, 2010

Final Blog Post, Jennifer Carbert

This semester I have learned about blogging and the role of the internet in the world of media. Writing, editing and interacting with the online world has become a part of the journalists job. Although I don't agree with Peter Horrocks who was quoted about the importance of technology by the BBC as saying: "I'm afraid you're not doing your job if you can't do those things." There are plenty of really good journalists who do not like using the online tools simply because they have mastered their craft in print. There is a newspaper in Meadow Lake SK, which does not even have a business website and does really well in the community. 


Online editing, in my opinion, is much more difficult than print editing. Catching mistakes on a computer is harder to do than finding them printed out on paper. Another reason editing for online becomes difficult is because of the change of pace. Articles written for online sites are written in less time than the print articles and sometimes are updated as new information is discovered. The sheer speed and constant updating of online news stories makes it difficult to keep up with the editing process.


In my future I see technology playing a very important role in my writing and publishing processes. The major reason is because I intend to use my skills overseas for Canada. The Internet, blogging, facebook, twitter, and e-mail have all made this opportunity available. Learning how to write and build a blog has been helpful in that sense. The second reason I see technology being important in my career as a journalist is because most people receive their news online. Although I still prefer flipping through a physical newspaper most people would rather receive updates electronically, this is simply the way the business is moving. As Katrine said in her blog post, The Power of Blogging, "One of the advantages of blogging for journalists is the exposure it creates." She is completely correct, blogging allows people around the world to quickly self-publish which can lead publishers to find some amazing journalists.


Note: Image from Boston University Office of Disabled Services

Comment 1
Comment 2
Comment 3
Comment 4
Comment 5
Comment 6

No comments:

Post a Comment